Cool Downloadable Workbook w/ Progress Tracker

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Day 52 - Recovery Kenpo

Kenpo Today was like Kenpo any other day.

So far so good with kenpo. I'm still using my hand weights, still keeping at a slightly faster pace than Tony and the kids, and still coming out completely drenched and worked out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've commented in the past about my knees popping and cracklin (due to my old age of 28 yrs-haha). I've always heard of that adding Glucosamine in a person's daily vitamin supplement could help in the formation and repair of cartilage and other body tissues.

Being that I am, as well as everyone else using P90X, do alot of kicking and do high impact moves in Plyo, Cardio, and Kenpo. I thought I'd do some research on Glucosamine and share it:

Description:
Glucosamine is an aminopolysaccharide (a combination of an amino acid - glutamine and a sugar - glucose). Glucosamine is concentrated in joint cartilage where it is incorporated in longer chains known as glycosaminoglycans and finally into very large structures known as proteoglycans. The proteoglycans function to attract water into the joint space for lubrication of the cartilage during movement.

Claims:
Glucosamine is a dietary supplement that lacks the damaging side effects and long term toxicity of COX-2 inhibitors or NSAIDS such as ibuprofen or aspirin
Reverses osteoarthritis
Protects joints and tendons from injury
Decreases inflammation

Theory:
The principle behind glucosamine supplementation is that the glucosamine is delivered to the joint space and incorporated into proteoglycans of joint cartilage to maintain structure and repair damage. Glucosamine may also stimulate chondrocytes (cartilage cells) to begin producing healthy new cartilage matrix (both collagen and proteoglycans). Usual Dosage 1500 mg.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that if it can't hurt you and if the only thing that it can do IS help you, especially if it helps reduce arthritis and joint deterioration. WHY NOT TAKE IT?!?! I'm going to pick me up a bottle from the Natural Health Food Store on the way home from work today.

I'll be back tomorrow pushing play.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark Briggs recommended using alfalfa tablets instead of the Glucosamin, much less in price but he claims to have no joint pain since he started taking them... I have been trying it for a while and I have to say my joints feel good in spite of my RA... so just a thought...

Doris/GreatDane