Cool Downloadable Workbook w/ Progress Tracker

Monday, December 10, 2007

Day 77 - THE OBLITERATOR

My new name for pain: The Obliterator

Because when your in pain, nothing else can exist. Not thought, Not emotion. Only the drive to escape the pain. When it's strong enough, the Obliterator strips us of who we are until we are reduced to creatures less than animals. Creatures with a single desire and goal: Escape.

While my 90 Days are coming up, they will have to take a small detour. Monday started my week 12 and CS&T. Well, I was going to failure on each and every workout since this is the last resistance week of P90X. And half way through my workout. Something happened.

As you all know, I have a left shoulder that has been dislocated and subluxated acouple of times in the past years and once recently acouple months ago. Anyways, while doing the leaning overhead tricep extensions, I had my elbow alittle to far back, which in turn, opened up my rotator cuff alittle more than I should have it and BAM!!! My shoulder subluxated again. I was in the workout room all by myself trying to get my shoulder back in.

But this time it was different. Usually I can get my arm back in within minutes. But for some reason, my shoulder didn't want to go back in. I tried almost every move I knew.

This time took more time.
Way too much time.

I could not get it back in before my shoulder muscles started to go into shock and tighten up. If anyone has every dislocated/subluxated a shoulder knows that all you senses heighten by 10x. Every move causes some amount of pain and if you move the wrong way, shards of pain shoot through your entire body as if you've been shocked by a enormous battery. All I wanted to do was to escape. Escape the pain, the situation, the room, my body. I wanted out. But I couldn't until I got my shoulder back in.

Luckily, after about 10 minutes, even with my shoulder and myself in shock, I was able to get it back in. Almost passing out, I sat down and let my nerves calm.

Needless to say I did not finish my day at work. My wife came to pick me up and I've been icing it ever since. Usually, I can pop it back in and the next day go about my business. This is day 2 after and it's still sore. Ice has been my closest friend.

I will not let this get me down. I will continue to do cardio and legs, some yoga and kenpo to a small degree to keep with the program. I'll be able to give a better progress report on my ability to continue the program after I try Plyo tomorrow.

Throughout the years and the numerous times my shoulder has subluxated has been a burden on me. This time in particular, when I could not get it back quickly and took every bit my will to not pass out and to continue to fight to get it back in, makes me feel like I'm falling apart. Like a old horse that's plowed to many fields, and I'm only 28 years.

It's time to ice.

1 comment:

ace said...

Hey man, I am really, really sorry to hear about your shoulder. I had a "chronic" shoulder dislocation problem for years starting back in high school. The stabilizer muscles around my shoulder were so weak that it would pop out if I got out of bed the wrong way. So know how painful that injury can be. Don't let it get to you. Just do what you can do. When you can ease back into your routine.

I think the reason I haven't had the issue in so long is because of all the swimming in triathlons. I think it helped stabilize and strengthen the shoulder muscles. Keep your head up and keep pushing play.